Go to homepage

Humidifier children's room

What is a humidifier?

To put it simply: humidifiers increase the humidity in a room. It is therefore a device that is intended to ensure good air humidification within one's own four walls. Ideally, good air humidity is between 40 and 60 percent. If the humidity in the room falls below the 40% mark, for example, this often leads to dry skin and dry eyes. Especially in winter, many people suffer from dry room air, as the heating is usually on during this time. To normalise the humidity level in the winter months, a room humidifier is recommended.

Is a humidifier suitable for babies and children?

Yes, definitely! Babies and children in particular suffer the most from the dry heating air in winter. Many people do not know that children have a higher water content in their bodies than adults. Because of this, they react much more sensitively to fluctuations in relative humidity. Since the immune system of babies and toddlers is not yet fully developed, the little explorers are also much more susceptible to illness.

This susceptibility to viruses in combination with dry heated air also frequently leads to illness in children. Viruses can spread much faster in dry conditions than in a cool environment. This leads to an increased risk of infection. Furthermore, excessively dry air causes increased moisture loss and the body dries out more quickly.

If you notice the following symptoms on your sweetheart, it may be due to dry heating air:

- Dry skin

- Itching

- Rash and flaking

- Red, dry and itchy eyes

- Dry mucous membranes

- Irritated respiratory tract

- Increased susceptibility to infection

- Headaches and sleeping problems

All of these symptoms could of course also indicate neurodermatitis, allergies and asthma and should be urgently checked out by a doctor. However, it is often the case that dry air exacerbates or favours these physical complaints. Since babies cannot tell you how they are feeling and whether they are too hot or too cold, the complaints are not associated with the wrong room climate for a long time.

You can find out whether the relative humidity could be a trigger for the problem by using a hygrometer. You can use it to measure the humidity in your child's room. If the humidity is between 40 and 60 percent, the room climate is considered optimal. If, on the other hand, it is below 40 percent, you should get a humidifier for the room in order to normalise the humidity in the room again and ensure optimal hygiene.

At what age should a humidifier be placed in a child's room?

Humidifiers for children can be used from the age of 0. However, you must pay attention to the type of humidifier. For the baby and children's room, either evaporators or ultrasonic nebulisers come into question. With the help of an evaporator, the water is distributed over a large area. This finally evaporates without additional heat. An ultrasonic nebuliser, on the other hand, generates vibrations and atomises the water into fine droplets.

Caution: Vaporisers are not suitable for babies and children! The device generates heat to vaporise the water. Germ formation is no longer a danger, but the little ones can be scalded by the hot water.

At what time of year is a humidifier useful?

As a rule of thumb, the relative humidity in late autumn and winter is between 15 and 30 percent, which is why air purifiers should be used especially in these months.

Breathe again with a humidifier!

While the air humidity is usually OK in summer, it usually drops sharply in German children's rooms in late autumn and winter. When the heating season begins, the humidity is sometimes only around 15%. The consequences can be coughing, itching, dry skin and an increased susceptibility to infections. These complaints are often not associated with the air humidity. However, humidifiers often provide some relief from these symptoms. The humidifiers from 4mybaby humidifiers are natural and ideal for children's rooms.